Debt Consolidation in Action: Puerto Rico
Overcoming credit card debt challenges with credit counseling.
While Puerto Rico itself is facing significant problems with debt, residents face their own challenges. Two thirds of families have mortgage debt and one in four have credit card debt. Student debt levels are some of the highest in any state or territory in the U.S. and the percent of debt to personal income is almost 90% – a ratio where anything above 50% indicates financial distress.
Luckily there are programs available to Puerto Rican residents that allow them to consolidate debt in the same way residents can in the continental United States. If your facing challenges with debt an you need help, call Consolidated Credit at or complete an online application to request a free, confidential debt evaluation from a certified credit counselor.
Debt Statistics in Puerto Rico
Here’s a quick look at the state of debt in Puerto Ric today:
- Average student debt: $31,844 †
- 7% of households have debt 
- 68% of debt is housing (mortgage) debt 
- 23% of families have outstanding credit card debt 
- % of debt to personal income: 87.5% 
† Combined with other U.S. territories
Credit Counseling in Action for Puerto Rico residents
Debt solutions are never one-size-fits-all, but the following case study and testimonial can give you a better idea of how a debt management program may be able to help you. This comes from a real client of Consolidated Credit who lives in Puerto Rico. Call us today to see if we can help you, too.
Where she started:
- Total unsecured debt: $29,733.00
- Estimated interest charges: $17,586.75
- Time to payoff: 15 years, 7 months
- Total monthly payments: $1189.32
After DMP enrollment:
- Average negotiated interest rate: 0.00%
- Total interest charges: $0.00
- Time to payoff: 7 years, 4 months
- Total monthly payment: $338.00