Debt Consolidation in Action: Hawaii
Maintaining financial stability in spite of debt to achieve success.
When it comes to looking at household debt loads broken down by state, Hawaiians have it almost as good as the tropical location they live in. Student debt and credit card debt levels are both lower than the national average. Fewer homes are still struggling to regain equity after the market crash – only 6 in every 100 homes are underwater today.
Still, that doesn’t mean Hawaiians don’t have problems with debt. They just tend to be proactive about finding solutions to regain control. The information below can help you understand personal debt in Hawaii, and how some residents have found success with the help of a certified credit counselor. If you’re struggling, take action to get the help you need. Call Consolidated Credit at or complete an online application to request a free, confidential debt analysis today.
Debt Statistics in Hawaii
Here’s a quick look at the situation Hawaiians currently face when it comes to personal debt. Every situation is different, but this can help you see how you stack up against your neighbors:
- Average credit card debt per household: $8,315 
- Average available credit limit: $19,897 
- Credit utilization ratio (debt vs available limit): 31.27% 
- Average number of cards: 3.25 
- % of accounts that are delinquent (at least 90 days past due): 6.2% 
- Average credit score: 693 
- Most popular type of credit card: Cash back rewards 
Estella from Kailua Kona, HI
I love the lower monthly payments and lower interest charges. It makes everything so much easier.
Where she started:
- Total unsecured debt: $12,614.00
- Estimated interest charges: $7,188.72
- Time to payoff: 11 years, 11 months
- Total monthly payments: $504.56
After DMP enrollment:
- Average negotiated interest rate: 10.63%
- Total interest charges: $3,452.21
- Time to payoff: 4 years, 4 months
- Total monthly payment: $312.00
Todd from Ewa Beach, HI
This is a great service! They’re always very helpful whenever I have a question.
Where he started:
- Total unsecured debt: $37,083.45
- Estimated interest charges: $21,491.50
- Time to payoff: 14 years, 7 months
- Total monthly payments: $1,483.34
After DMP enrollment:
- Average negotiated interest rate: 8.50%
- Total interest charges: $5,973.73
- Time to payoff: 4 years
- Total monthly payment: $897.00