Debt Consolidation in Action: South Dakota
How South Dakotans are meeting personal debt challenges head-on.
If there were ever a time when South Dakotans should be proud to rank 49th in the U.S., it’s in the ranking for the highest credit card debt in the nation. Although residents have faced similar challenges from things like a weak economy, high unemployment and the real estate market downturn, South Dakotans as a whole have managed to persevere – but that doesn’t mean that the journey has been easy or they’ve done it on their own.
The information below can help you understand the state of debt that South Dakotans face in today’s economy. If you’re struggling to overcome financial challenges on your own, we can help. Call Consolidated Credit today at or complete an online application to ask for a free confidential debt evaluation from a certified credit counselor.
Debt statistics in South Dakota
Here are some helpful statistics about the state of personal debt in South Dakota today.
- Average credit card debt per household: $7,362 
- Average available credit limit: $15,090 
- Credit utilization ratio (debt vs available limit): 32.58% 
- Average number of cards: 2.8 
- % of accounts that are delinquent (at least 90 days past due): 6.24% 
- Average credit score: 700 
- Most popular type of credit card: Cash back rewards 
Marie from Pierre, SD
This has been such a great service and a great experience. Thank you!
Where she started:
- Total unsecured debt: $41,277.00
- Estimated interest charges: $24,133.79
- Time to payoff: 14 years, 11 months
- Total monthly payments: $1,651.08
After DMP enrollment:
- Average negotiated interest rate: 3.66%
- Total interest charges: $3,008.17
- Time to payoff: 4 years, 10 months
- Total monthly payment: $764.00