Correcting Credit Issues

Reviewing Your Credit Report

Knowing and understanding what is in your credit report is one of your most important consumer rights. You should order a credit report each year to check for and correct any mistakes or problems. If you have any questions concerning a mistake or credit denial, contact that creditor immediately.

If there are mistakes in your credit report or you would like to dispute something in the report, take the following actions:

Dispute Problem Online

In order to help consumers protect themselves from identity theft, the Federal Government has established a website,, for you to obtain your free credit report from the three credit bureaus (Equifax, TransUnion and Experian). No credit score will be provided, but you don’t need it! At this site you can dispute any errors online, just follow the instructions for disputing errors. Each bureau has 30 days to resolve the issue for you.

Should you have a problem disputing errors through, you can always dispute errors online by visiting the credit bureaus through their own websites:, and These sites provide directions on how to “dispute online.” Depending on which bureau(s) your creditor reported the account error to, you might need to go to only one or two bureaus. In disputing your credit report, make sure you refer to the Reference Number on the first page of the credit report you obtained for free at After you finished with the process, your request will be submitted in seconds. Each credit bureau has 30 to 45 days to investigate your request. The results of the investigation will be mailed to you, along with a copy of your credit report.

By Phone

Call (877) 322-8228 to request a free credit report from any or all three credit bureaus. The report will arrive 7 to 15 days after requested. Once you have received a credit report, look for a phone number provided for investigations or filing a dispute. You will need the Confirmation Number or Report Number listed at the top of the report (this is an 11) number unique to your report). You will be able to talk to a customer-service representative to place an investigation on any account that the report indicates has an incorrect status. That phone number will be good for only 30 days after the date of your request. As with disputing online, credit bureaus have 30 to 45 days to investigate and will send you the results by mail.

By Mail

You can send a request letter to the three different credit bureaus; your Housing Counselor can give you a sample dispute letter and the addressees you should mail it to.

For general questions, call the credit bureaus at:
Equifax: 1-800-333-7020
Trans Union: 1-800-303-1308

Sample Dispute Letter

Download a Sample Dispute Letter

Continue learning about credit