Debt Relief Programs in Action in D.C.
Residents in our nation’s capital face a tough battle with debt.
D.C. credit users face an uphill battle when it comes to paying off credit card debt. The average cardholder owes over $8,000. That’s not a balance that can be easily eliminated using traditional monthly payments. If you want to become debt-free, you need to find a debt relief solution that works for your budget and goals.
The information below is designed to help you understand how debt affects residents in DC and how credit counseling has helped some residents find relief. If you’re facing challenges with debt, call Consolidated Credit at to request a free, confidential debt evaluation from a certified credit counselor.
Debt Statistics in the District of Columbia
Here’s a quick look at the state of debt in DC today:
- Average credit card debt per household: $8,291 
- Average available credit limit: $23,780 
- Credit utilization ratio (debt vs available limit): 22.94% 
- Average number of cards: 2.18 
- % of accounts that are delinquent (at least 90 days past due): 5.86% 
- Average credit score: 670 
- Most popular type of credit card: Travel rewards 
Debt Relief D.C.: See our program in action!
Althea H. from Washington DC
My interest rates were too high – 16, 17, 18 percent. Consolidated Credit was able to lower my rates to a point where my payments now go toward the principal so I can finally get out of debt. My credit score is going up, too! It was around 650 before but now it’s close to 700.
Where she started:
- Total unsecured debt: $18,601.00
- Estimated interest charges: $10,654.62
- Time to payoff: 13 years, 8 months
- Total monthly payments: $744.04
After DMP enrollment:
- Average negotiated interest rate: 8.50%
- Total interest charges: $3,680.08
- Time to payoff: 4 years, 9 months
- Total monthly payment: $390.00
Ready to see if Consolidated Credit can help you, too? Talk to a certified credit counselor to review your options for debt relief.
Get Help Now